|The oil industry came to Perryton
in 1955 when the Woodson Oil Company drilled the No. 1 Perry
Unit at the southeast edge of Perryton.
This well, a producer, set off a flurry
of leasing and drilling that was followed by the location
of service companies and allied oil and gas industry businesses
In the 1950s the struggle of the petroleum
industry and its people was comparable to the struggle of
the farming and ranching people and their industry. These
people possessed a love for the industry, the desire for
a better living, and often the need to survive was paramount.
The industry was and is one of "boom or bust," always at
the mercy of government actions and controls.
Oil and gas exploration have a long history
in Ochiltree county. County records show that the first
oil lease was filed in Ochiltree county in 1912.
In 1926 a well was drilled on Wolf Creek that caused
much excitement and a number of Perryton investors got in
on it. There were several other wells drilled in this area
But these wells were drilled with crude
equipment by today's standards and drillers were able to
go only 1,000 feet deep or so. Later discoveries proved,
of course, that oil lay much deeper.
With the development of the oil and gas
industry in the Perryton area, the need for servicing companies
expanded and Perryton became host for a great many of these.
The Chamber of Commerce developed an industrial area in
east Perryton which soon housed offices and brought in such
names as Halliburton,
Dowell, B-J Hughes, Producers Chemical, Schlumberger, Western,
and others who soon established significant payrolls in